Thursday, June 4, 2009

My 70th Birthday Manifesto


I celebrated my 70th birthday in February 2009, and found it more challenging than I had expected. It just took a little longer be comfortable with than I had expected. On the day itself I decided to write down the beliefs I wanted to take with me into the next phase of my life. These are my beliefs, the ideals I try to embody. Some days I do better living by them than others. They are in no particular order. You will recognize some of them as coming from other sources.


I posted them on my bathroom mirror, and they do help me shape my days. I am grateful for the years I have spent arriving at a place where these are my values.


You may want to try writing your own.


  • I choose faith over fear.
  • I live in a continued state of gratitude for all I have been given.
  • My purpose in life is to be of service to others.
  • I choose being loving over being right.
  • I compassionately allow others to follow his/her own path.
  • I rejoice in the good fortune of others.
  • I never wish for or intentionally do harm to others.
  • I have faith in the Ultimate Goodness of the universe.
  • I accept that suffering is a necessary part of life.
  • I never take things personally.
  • I think before I speak, and speak only in love.
  • I do not have to be the center of attention.
  • I know that I am never alone; loneliness is something I create.
  • I create something of beauty every day.
  • I am not afraid of making mistakes or looking like a fool--- it’s the privilege of age.
  • I try to embrace humility—seeing myself as one among many, neither better nor worse than other people.
  • I believe in the unity of all Creation, and work to unite rather than divide.
  • I give my best to the world and don’t hide my God-given gifts.
  • I care for my body-- its the only one I have.
  • I believe in abundance, not scarcity.

No comments:

Post a Comment