Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Arrival in Martigny


The flight to Switzerland went pretty smoothly-- probably as well as can be for a long overnight flight.  We didn't do quite as well getting assistance as on the Vancouver to Montreal flight.  We were supposed to have wheelchairs at the Montreal airport, because that was the only option, no carts, so they said, even though we saw some there.  The airport was very busy, and there was a lineup of people waiting for wheelchairs. Of course, I couldn't get Gloria to get help unless I did, so we waited quite awhile.  Gloria was getting worried that we wouldn't get to the gate in time, so finally I took one of the wheelchairs and after struggling a bit with Gloria about who was riding and who was pushing, she got in and I piled all our carry on stuff on top of her, and off we went to the gate.  It wasn't too far.  When we arrived in Geneva, we waited a little while for Hélène (Gloria's daughter, where we are staying) as she got stuck in a traffic jam.  She had us paged so we had some coffee/hot chocolate and waited just a short time.  We stopped at Jean-Francois' place (Hélène's son) on the way home, where he had lunch prepared for us. Victoria (his 4 year old daughter) was there also. We got to Martigny at about 2;30 pm, I think.  I fell asleep on the way, and just kind of stumbled to my bed when we got there. 

I think I have taken longer to get over jet lag than Gloria has.  At least she got up earlier than I did this morning (Saturday).  I slept through the night last night, finally.

On Thursday, Hélène was working, but came home for lunch and took us to market day in town. Yesterday (Friday) in the afternoon, we went to the Valias Fair, (like the PNE, but with half the exhibits being wine tasting booths.  Besides lots of wine, we saw an amazing exhibit from Imperial China.  There were life-sized replicas of lots of that Terracotta Army, the life-sized soldiers and horses found in an emperors tomb, discovered in Xian in 1974. The exhibit was amazing. 

Speaking of amazing, Gloria just got back from a trip to the nearby supermarket on Loriane's big scooter. (Loriane is Helene's 30 year old daughter, who is living at home right now)  I have photos to prove it. Hélène is away this morning taking her sailing test. 

It is so beautiful here!  I love it.  Too bad my French isn't better.  I even have a hard time saying that I don't speak French, but I almost have that sentence down!  Je ne parle pas en Francais. 

Martigny is a very interesting city.   Check out this link for more info. Martigny, Switzerland

1 comment:

  1. So glad you are having a great time, bring me back a St.Benard

    ReplyDelete